From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is there a screensaver that shows emerge status?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:38:19
1 When I'm emerging 'world', sometimes (like today) there are 50 packages that
2 need to be done. Fine. No problemo. It would be nice to have a screensaver,
3 or even better, an overlay of some-kind (so I could have my normal OpenGL
4 screensavers running in the background) that told me the basic statistics.
5 Then I could leave my box locked and know that stuff is hapily working. As
6 it is, I have to continually interrupt the screen-saver, login, notice it's
7 fine, then logout.
8
9 * Which # emerge out of total I'm on.
10
11 * what stage of this emerge I'm in:
12 - downloading
13 - unpacking
14 - compiling/linking
15 - installing
16 - unmerging old package
17 + error (this should notify me visualy/audibly)
18
19 * If it's downloading, how may bytes (a moving bar would be ideal) it has
20 out of how many to go.
21
22 * if possible, the estimated time to complete the current emerge
23
24 * and of course, the estimated time to complete all emerges
25
26 Does such a thing exist?
27
28 D.Vin