From: Novensiles divi Flamen <noven@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:14:54
1 On Sunday 03 December 2006 23:28, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to another DVD
5 > to take with me on holiday. I'll be playing back the copy on my laptop and
6 > (if it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.
9 > There are 6 of them in a video which I want to copy, but given the recent
10 > failed attempts with burning DVD+R DLs I will have to compact them so that
11 > they can fit in a single DVD. I read about transcoding into mpeg4, but I
12 > don't know what are the right options for what I want. What would you
13 > recommend?
14
15 For travelling I transcode my movies and fit three on a single DVD. If you are
16 only watching it on your laptop this is fine, although you can see artifacts
17 at that ratio. I use DVD::RIP and set it based on a target size of 1.5GB.
18
19 You can get all manual about it and use just the vobs and be all mathematical
20 about the transcode CLI options, but for my time and simple movies on the go
21 DVD::RIP is the shit.
22
23 - Noven
24 --