From: David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] floppy flops: mtools vs file managers
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:15:59
1 In message <88R9a-3YR-1@×××××××××××××.it>, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > Ordinarily, I use Mtools to manage diskettes (floppies):
4 > it's very fast & efficient to copy & delete files from the CLI.
5
6 I presume you use only FAT12 formatted floppies (i.e. no ext2), as that is
7 the only format mtools supports (last I looked).
8
9 > I've long had Krusader installed & have recently tested Thunar & Dolphin
10 > & find that while they claim to handle diskettes, it's not reliable:
11 > sometimes they do copy or delete files successfully;
12 > sometimes they say they have, but nothing happens in the drive;
13 > sometimes they say they can't access the drive at all.
14 > I've added a line to /etc/fstab :
15 > '/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat noauto,user 0 0'
16
17 Why use vfat for the filesystem? I would have thought msdos would make more
18 sense if all your floppies are FAT12. However, I use auto for the
19 filesystem (but noauto in the options) as I also use ext2 floppies.
22 Regards
23
24 Dave [RLU#314465]
26 dwnoon@××××××××.com (David W Noon)