From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} An old iBook G3 as server
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:43:42
1 On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 04:27:35PM +0100, Robert Bridge wrote:
2 >
3 > If you are round a university, I would actually suggest asking around
4 > and seeing if there are old P3 workstations being thrown out. With a
5 > little TLC, gentoo runs nicely on such hardware, especially as a
6 > headless server in a corner. Such a box would also offer a LOT more
7 > flexibility than an old laptop would, and they will probably be
8 > delighted to get rid of it!
9 >
10 > Rob.
11 >
12 > (Has a little collection of such "rescued" machines.)
13
14 The reason why I prefer a laptop is size (I can put it on the top of a
15 cupboard next to the other one), and the possibility to use it without an
16 UPS, that I don't have.