From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:14:38
1 On 17/09/2013 11:49, Grant wrote:
2 >>>>> Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
3 >>>>> install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
4 >>>>> controller?
5 >>>>
6 >>>> Not ready to take the ZFS plunge? That would greatly reduce the complexity
7 >>>> of RAID+LVM, since ZFS best practice is to set your hardware raid controller
8 >>>> to JBOD mode and let ZFS take care of the RAID - and no LVM required (ZFS
9 >>>> has mucho better tools). That is my next big project for when I switch to my
10 >>>> next new server.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I'm just hoping I can get comfortable with a process for getting ZFS
13 >>>> compiled into the kernel that is workable/tenable for ongoing kernel updates
14 >>>> (with minimal fear of breaking things due to a complex/fragile
15 >>>> methodology)...
16 >>>
17 >>> Can't you just emerge zfs-kmod? Or maybe you're trying to do it
18 >>> without module support?
19 >>
20 >> @tanstaafl's kernels have no module support.
21 >
22 > OK, but why exclude module support?
26 Noooooooooo, please for the love of god and all that's holy, let's not
27 go there again :-)
28
29 taanstafl has his reasons for using fully monolithic kernels without
30 module support. This works for him and nothing will dissuade him from
31 this strategy - we tried, we really did. He won.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com