From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] looking for a couple of systemd units
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:46:22
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > >> >> Hi. I am looking for a couple of systemd units which I have not been
9 > >> >> able to find -- one for mailman and one for innd which is a shell script
10 > >> >> by itself.
11 > >> >>
12 > >> >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
13 > >> >
14 > >> > I use this one in production for mailman with Gentoo:
15 > >> >
16 > >> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
17 > >> > [Unit]
18 > >> > Description=Mailman mailing list service
19 > >> > After=network.target
20 > >> >
21 > >> > [Service]
22 > >> > Type=forking
23 > >> > ExecStart=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl -s start
24 > >> > ExecStop=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl stop
25 > >> > User=mailman
26 > >> > Group=mailman
27 > >> >
28 > >> > [Install]
29 > >> > WantedBy=multi-user.target
30 > >> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
31 > >> >
32 > >> > I don't have any for innd.
33 > >>
34 > >> If innd is the one from net-nntp/inn, then the following should work:
35 > >>
36 > >> ----------------------------------------------------------------
37 > >> [Unit]
38 > >> Description=The Internet News daemon
39 > >> Documentation=man:innd(8)
40 > >> ConditionPathExists=/var/run/news
41 > >>
42 > >> [Service]
43 > >> Type=simple
44 > >> ExecStart=/usr/lib/news/bin/rc.news
45 > >> ExecStop=/usr/lib/news/bin/rc.news stop
46 > >> User=news
47 > >> Group=news
48 > >>
49 > >> [Install]
50 > >> WantedBy=multi-user.target
51 > >> ----------------------------------------------------------------
52 > >>
53 > >> If the binary rc.news forks itself (and there is no option to force it
54 > >> to run in the foreground), use Type=forking. The former is preferred
55 > >> over the latter. Also, to guarantee that the directory /var/run/news
56 > >> always is present, add the following to a new file
57 > >> /etc/tmpfiles.d/innd.conf:
58 > >>
59 > >> ----------------------------------------------------------------
60 > >> d /var/run/news 0755 news news 10d -
61 > >> ----------------------------------------------------------------
62 > >>
63 > >> You can replace 10d with - (hypen), so the directory is never cleaned
64 > >> automatically. If you try this unit and it works as expected, please
65 > >> let us know.
66 > >>
67 > >
68 > > OK, thanks again. I have one question which this brings up -- and this
69 > > applies to openrc as well -- I never have let it migrate /var/run to
70 > > /run and /var/lock likewise because I have directories in those which
71 > > are owned by various users, etc. and the packages themselves almost
72 > > never create such -- is putting things in /etc/tmpfiles.d the correct
73 > > way to fix this?
74 >
75 > tmpfiles.d is from systemd:
76 >
77 > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/tmpfiles.d.html
78 >
79 > However, I think OpenRC developers were thinking about supporting it.
80 > I don't know if that actually happened.
81 >
82 > With systemd in Gentoo, /var/run is bind mounted from /run, and it's a
83 > tmpfs dir, so everything there goes away after a reboot. The config
84 > files in tmpfiles.d allows the creation (and automatic removal) of
85 > directories and files there.
86 >
87 > I don't know if it's the "correct" way to fix anything; but it works.
88
89 It looks like openrc is supporting some version of this, but not very
90 well documented at all except they refer you to some man page as of a
91 certain date.
95 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
96 How do
97 you spend it?
98
99 John Covici