From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with gdbus-codegen
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 22:11:37
1 On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 19:17:47 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > Are you running fstrim once in a while like it's recommended?
4 > > Apparently using 'discard' as an option when mounting is no longer
5 > > recommended. On my laptops I use a systemd timer to do this. Before
6 > > that I used anacron (I think it was anacron) which would run missed
7 > > cronjobs.
8
9 > This is surprised me ... I just installed Gentoo on a MacBook and the
10 > handbook/wiki said to use discard in fstab ... I'm running two PCs like
11 > this now. :-/
12 >
13 > Is there a URL somewhere recommending otherwise?
14
15 man fstrim:
16
17 Running fstrim frequently, or even using mount -o discard, might
18 negatively affect the lifetime of poor-quality SSD devices. For most
19 desktop and server systems a sufficient trimming frequency is once a
20 week. Note that not all devices support a queued trim, so each trim
21 command incurs a performance penalty on whatever else might be trying to
22 use the disk at the time.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 I am Scooby Doo of Borg- Reware roo re arimorated, Raggy!