From: Steven G Wagner <digital9ja@×××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@××××××××××××.com" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Tulip driver problems; eth0 does not exist..."netmount" was not started...
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 00:08:04
1 I have a working hardened system, 2.6.16-hardened-r11, but I can't seem to
2 get eth0 recognized. My NIC is a Netgear FA310TX Rev D2 and I found that it
3 uses the "Tulip" driver.
4
5 I've tried compiling this driver by itself into the kernel both built-in and
6 as a module. I've tried compiling the entire "Tulip" family of drivers into
7 my kernel, trying <*> next to every possible selection under "Tulip" and
8 again using <m> in every instance allowed. I listed "tulip" in
9 /etc/modules.autoload.d and it failed at boot, even though it was compiled
10 as a module.
11
12 Everything is copasetic when I boot off the livecd and I can ping google,
13 etc. I tried emerging hotplug as one forum post I found indicated, but to no
14 avail. I've done my best to find posts related to this, seemingly, common
15 issue, but nothing has worked for me and I can't think of anything else to
16 try. I've combed the handbook as well, but nothing there has helped me.
17
18 If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I have used Hardened
19 Gentoo before, but not on this older machine.
20
21 Thanks a lot for any help,
22
23 Steve