From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zoom?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 13:19:03
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 12:56 PM Alec Ten Harmsel
4 > <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 08:54, Jorge Almeida wrote:
7 > > > On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 12:42 PM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > > Have you looked at using WebRTC with Zoom, rather than installing their code
9 > > > > on your PC?
10 >
11 > > WebRTC is a web standard. You should be able to use Zoom in-browser, without downloading the application.
12 > >
13 > OK. But it seems to offer limited functionality:
14 > https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005666383-Show-a-Join-from-your-browser-Link
15 >
16 > (And will it be safer that the application?)
19 Web tabs are fairly highly sandboxed in most browsers. Suffice it to
20 say something running in a web tab isn't going to be spying on your
21 process list/etc.
22
23 An application can basically do absolutely anything you can do from a
24 shell unless you've done something to contain it. Running it in a
25 container would obviously be one way of containing it. Running it
26 under another UID would be another, though users can generally see all
27 the processes in the system and read any file that is world-readable.
28
29 I'm not sure how the flatpak version of zoom that was mentioned
30 earlier is packaged. I believe flatpak is container-based, but I
31 haven't used it and I can't speak to how well-contained it actually
32 is, either in general or in its implementation of this particular
33 application. In theory they could make it very secure, but that
34 doesn't mean that they did.
35
36 Oh, and keep in mind that X11 itself isn't the most secure piece of
37 software in existence. In particular any window on your desktop can
38 spy on the keyboard input into any other window on your desktop,
39 unless you're employing protective measures that nobody actually
40 employs outside of maybe pinentry (I haven't checked that one and I
41 forget if it is completely modal - as in you can't type in any other
42 x11 window while it is displayed).
45 Rich