From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Another X11 problem
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 02:59:54
1 On 2016-08-25, Corbin Bird wrote:
4 > On 08/25/2016 12:52 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
5 > > On 2016-08-22, Adam Carter wrote:
6 > >
7 > >>> Once or twice per week, when I start X11 (via the startx program),
8 > >>> my display goes all black. When it happens there is no way back to
9 > >>> a working state: I can see that Xorg is running, I can exit it by
10 > >>> hitting Ctl-Alt-Backspace, but even then display does not recover.
11 > >>> The only thing I can do is hit Ctl-Alt-Del blindly and reboot, and
12 > >>> next time it usually works.
13 > >> Have you checked dmesg and syslogs for messages?
14 > > Yes. Nothing (significantly) different when this happens.
15 > >
16 > >> Try a newer kernel and see if it goes away.
17 > > I'm reluctant to go there before nailing it down a bit more, since
18 > > it only happens intermittently and a newer kernel will quite possibly
19 > > introduce other problems.
20 > >
21 > I don't remember if you specified your appended command-line kernel
22 > parameters ( lilo / grub / grub2 ). I have an AMD Phenom II x4 980. The
23 > parameters have a major effect on the video ( i.e. AGP / IOMMU usage ).
27 I have not posted them yet because I didn't suspect they were
28 important, but here they are now:
29
30 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rootfstype=ext4"
31
32 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet noresume vt.default_utf8=1 consoleblank=0"
33
34 # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
35 GRUB_TERMINAL=console
38 I added the consoleblank=0 bit just very recently in the pursuit of this
39 bug. It happened without it, too.
40
41 The relevant kernel drivers are built as modules. I load fbcon from
42 /etc/conf.d/modules, and that seems to be where the switch to graphics
43 mode occurs. Note that everything is always okay at this point -
44 it just switches to a framebuffer enabled console, with a nice small
45 font. The bug, if it happens, happens later, when I start xorg.
46
47 Also, I pass no module-specific parameters. The only non-comment line
48 in /etc/conf.d/modules is:
49
50 modules="fbcon it87"
53 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
54 Why does the arrow on Hillary signs point to the right?