From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to minimise resource usage during emerge
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:41:41
1 On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 01:49, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
3 >> I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
4 >> trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
5 >> memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
6 >> bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.
7 >>
8 >> Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
9 >> server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
10 >> Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?
11 >
12 > 64MB is not enough, not by any stretch of the imagination. Not for running
13 > the system, but for emerge. 512MB should be there for building with -O2.
14 > At *least* 384MB. You'll have a hard time compiling the compiler itself
15 > though; RAM usage with -O2 goes up to 700MB.
16
17 I assume you mean RAM + swap? Because I have a virtual machine
18 (VirtualBox) on my home box with 256MB which works perfectly
19 (including compiling GCC multiple times). It does have lots of swap,
20 though.
21
22 > With that being said, you can minimize RAM usage by using -O1, or even -O0
23 > to switch off the optimizer completely. The runtime speed of the built
24 > programs won't be to your liking though.
25
26 I've never tried not using -O2. Is the difference really that noticeable?
27
28 > The only real option is to get more RAM.
29
30 That means paying more. :-) I don't want to do that until I'm sure
31 this virtual box satisfies my requirements.