From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xmms alternative
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:48:43
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 07:18:04PM +0200, Harm Geerts wrote
5 > I consider "Super eye-candy interface" and "Funky visualisations" as
6 > insults against a program. The amarok website is ***BRAGGING*** about
7 > them. I am obviously not their target market.
8
9 Obviously, I *am* amaroK's target market, because I *love* it.
10 >
11 >> Amarok is not a replacement, amarok is an alternative, which is
12 >> exactly what this thread is about.
13
14 I agree with this statement 'cause what I use xmms for I can't do in
15 amarok, and that is to play 'mod' files.
16
17 I took someone's suggestion and tried 'audacious'. This was because the
18 package database said something about a 'pending removal' which I
19 interpreted to mean that xmms was being removed from the package database.
20
21 Despite the fact that I built audacious with 'modplug', which I assumed
22 (maybe wrongly) had something to do with playing 'mod' files, I couldn't
23 get it to play mod files.
24
25 So, I removed 'audacious' and reinstalled xmms. I unmasked (by
26 commenting the line out) xmms-1.2.10-r15, which is what I had been using
27 since approximately mid-August, with no problems with what I use it for.
28 Granted, this version was masked by ~x86 keyword when I originally
29 installed it in August.
30
31 Anyway, with respect to the subject line, if my interpretation is
32 correct and xmms is being removed from the package list, what can I use
33 to play 'mod' files?
34
35 Regards,
36