From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 05:45:44
1 On Friday 25 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:07:17PM +0200, Justin wrote
3 >
4 > > Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences?
5 > > Always ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!
6 >
7 > In my case, this was the umpteenth time I encountered circular
8 > blocks. After asking the first couple of times, I settled down to a
9 > pattern of unmerging both halves of the problem and restarting the
10 > emerge. This has worked fine until now. And yes, I've seen the
11 > warning about "may harm your system" a lot of times. If it didn't
12 > come up as often as Vista's UAC warning, when manually unmerging
13 > stuff, I probably would've asked first.
14
15 There's really only one way t deal with circular blockers, and that is
16 to know enough about why the blocker is there to make a decision about
17 it. You have to act like say an Ubuntu maintainer as that is really
18 what you are doing, just local to your own system.
19
20 I tend to read the ebuilds if I don't know the packages well. If
21 upgrades are involved, I invariably have to unmerge the older one (it
22 clashes with a new way of doing things). If one of the packages is
23 something new, then I must decide which one I want to keep.
24
25 Elog messages with yellow stars should *never* be ignored. Unlike UAC,
26 they are not there with the express purpose of annoying users.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list