From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with script calling OOCalc on amd64
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:41:32
1 On Wednesday 17 March 2010 22:57:41 you wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 March 2010 09:15:17 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
3 > > ok. I didn't realize that oocalc actually executed in your first attempt.
4 > > Out of ideas then.
5 > >
6 > > FWIW - a few guesses: I'd execute oocalc under strace, and try to find
7 > > what is killing oocalc (does it decide to exit, or is it sent some
8 > > signal). If your suspecting xterm to be the culprit (i.e., yr script
9 > > works-as-expected w/o the xterm wrap) then maybe it'll be worthwhile
10 > > looking into the X resources yr xterm is reading.
11
12 I'm posting this to the list on behalf of Jack, because his posts don't make
13 it to the list for some reason:
14
15 ============================================
16 You didn't see it in the list because it hasn't shown up there yet,
17 despite three tries to post.....
18
19 What I mean is that if I type "oocalc somefile" in a term (it doesn't
20 seem to matter xterm, konsole, ...) I almost immediately get the next
21 shell prompt, even before the oocalc (or oodraw or oowrite) window is
22 fully displayed and ready to work. It does not smell to me like
23 anything to do with the terminal program, or even the shell, although
24 there may well be an environment variable that OO is checking.
25 oowriter --help (and any variation I have tried) seems to ignore the
26 request for help. If you look at the ooffice help on command line
27 parameters, there is a note about gentoo having a custom version - but
28 I haven't been able to find anything at the gentoo site either. I have
29 not yet tried launching from a script in case that behaves any
30 differently.
31
32 Note that since the shell has given the next prompt - the terminal will
33 certainly think everything is done, and happily close if the script is
34 finished. The trick will be to explicitly find a way to check that oo
35 has finished.
36
37 If you just launch oo from a command line in a terminal, do you get the
38 next shell prompt immediately, or not until you exit oo?
39
40 Jack
41 ============================================
42
43 Thanks Jack, this is rather interesting:
44
45 On two machines including the amd64 laptop the terminal exits immediately,
46 while the OOo is being launched. Both of these have OOo compiled from
47 source. The third machine (an old x86 laptop) has the OOo binary installed.
48 The binary installation behaves as I thought was the norm, i.e. the terminal
49 does not exit, but remains open until I close OOo. So this problem that
50 reported I guess is due to a difference between the two types of OOo, built
51 from source or binary.
52
53 I looked at the CLI help options by running 'ooffice -help'but I can't see
54 anything in there that will change this behaviour on the OOo built from
55 sources.
56
57 Any other ideas?
58 --