From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *** URGENT *** xdg-open respawns itself until crash
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:45:35
1 On 03/31/2011 01:32:30 PM, Maciej Grela wrote:
2 > 2011/3/31 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I have a big problem on a very import machine here.
6 > > Although it's a bit copy of a running machine,
7 > > it somehow respawns xdg-open until the system is out of memory
8 > > and therefore unresponsive or it crashes.
9 > >
10 > > How can I find out which process tries to start xdg-open?
11 > >
12 > > It assume it's connected to some settings the user's home
13 > directory.
16 > Use pstree to see what is executing it when this is happening.
19 Thanks, I'll try that - though I have not much time to do so, since the
20 machine starts swapping (though it has 8Gb memory).
21
22 Furtheron I've found out, that sci-mathematics/dataplot
23 had BROWSER=xdg-open in it's /etc/env.d/90dataplot file.
24 Thus it went into /etc/profile.env.
25
26 I think it's very strange that a package may modify
27 such a vital environment variable as 'BROWSER'.
28
29 Is this a bug in sci-mathematics/dataplot ?
30
31 Thanks,
32 and sorry for getting panic-stricken,
33
34 Helmut.