From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Audio through second HDMI output on GPU?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 22:51:49
1 On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 3:11 PM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 22:47, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > > > Resending this message, as the last time it was derailed by a question
7 > > > about DE and pulseaudio, neither of which are relevant to this
8 > > > low-level problem (and also not installed anyway, as I run a simple
9 > > > openbox WM with alsa only).
10 > > I'm very sorry that when you asked this question a month ago you
11 didn't like my answer. It was never my intention to 'derail' your question
12 with DE or pulseaudio. That said no one else has answered that question nor
13 have they responded to this one that you posted yesterday. I think you are
14 in a fairly unique setup that most people don't deal with but it is an
15 interesting area. I'd still like to help if I can.
16 >
17 > Maybe derailed was a little harsh. I was appreciative of your answer
18 > either way, as I might have left out some necessary information to
19 > make you ask about those things. This is still very low level as far
20 > as I understand it, so I'm not completely sure how to ask about what
21 > I'm wondering :)
24 > > To start please run the following command and let's see what ALSA
25 tells us:
26 > >
27 > > cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#0.*
28 >
29 > There was 16 of these entries, /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.4 was my Acer
30 > monitor which I managed to get sound through with my command:
31 > aplay -D plughw:1,7 sample.wav
32 >
33 > Most of the others simply showed:
34 > monitor_present 0
35 > eld_valid 0
36 >
37 > The connected TV was here:
38 > # cat /proc/asound/card1/eld#0.0
39 > monitor_present 1
40 > eld_valid 1
41 > monitor_name TOSHIBA-TV
42 >
43 > connection_type HDMI
44 > eld_version [0x2] CEA-861D or below
45 > edid_version [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
46 > manufacture_id 0x6252
47 > product_id 0x108
48 > port_id 0x400
49 > support_hdcp 0
50 > support_ai 0
51 > audio_sync_delay 62
52 > speakers [0xffff] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC FLC/FRC RLC/RRC
53 > FLW/FRW FLH/FRH TC FCH
54 > sad_count 2
55 > sad0_coding_type [0x1] LPCM
56 > sad0_channels 2
57 > sad0_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
58 > sad0_bits [0xe0000] 16 20 24
59 > sad1_coding_type [0x2] AC-3
60 > sad1_channels 6
61 > sad1_rates [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
62 > sad1_max_bitrate 640000
63 >
64 > All of this is quite cryptic to me, so if you can glean any useful
65 > information from it that would be great. The monitor output is fairly
66 > similar if you exclude the sad1*-lines at the end, the most prominent
67 > difference being the speakers line, which only listed '[0x1] FL/FR'
68 >
69 > Regards,
70 > Arve
71
72 OK, it's a good sign that the NVidia card is talking to the TV and
73 providing reasonable data.
74
75 A monitor would support stereo, so FL/FR -> Front left, Front right
76
77 Your TV is going to support lots of different speakers via (potentially)
78 some 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 sound system you might have attached. The values you can
79 decode mentally but they are rear channels, center channel, stuff like that.
80
81 OK, so what does alsamixer tell you? On my system I hit F6, choose the card
82 and then F3 for Playback. I see the 7 channels. Hitting 'M' changes the
83 mute setting but all the volumes are at 0 and hitting '+' doesn't raise the
84 volume. It's been so long since I looked at spdif stuff that I don't
85 remember if spdif supports volume this way. Will research a bit.
86
87 Anyway, I _think_ that if you hit F2 (system info) and then choose
88 /proc/asound/pcm you will get a list of all the sound devices with the
89 numbers on the left being the plughw values, but I could be quite wrong
90 about that.
91
92 The problem right now is we don't know if the channel is transmitting at a
93 volume of 0, not transmitting at all, or possibly the TV is receiving audio
94 data but not accepting it due to format issues.
95
96 I see a response from eric so I would certainly look into what he's
97 pointing you toward.