From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reducing repeated checkings
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:06:18
1 >
2 > Emerge did this, when confcache was installed and FEATURES=confcache was
3 > set. But I guess this only works well with once cache file per package,
4 > not with a global cache that is being used during all emerges.
5 > The configure script tests for lots of features, each test has a name. But
6 > there is no global naming scheme, so tests for different features can have
7 > the same name in different packages. I think this is why it did not work
8 > so well.
9 >
10
11 Yes, that is probably a bad idea to use the same cache file for all
12 packages, if they use different naming schemes. The Autobook suggest
13 that option inside one package with many subpackages.
14
15 <quote>The presence of a well primed cache file makes a big
16 improvement when configuring a complex tree which has `configure'
17 scripts in each subtree. </quote>
18
19 I think I will give it a try. Make my an overlay and test it with the
20 gcc, which has such a complex tree.
21
22 Al