From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox documentation
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 14:30:30
1 On 12/09/2016 03:50 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 06:12:03 +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >>> VirtualBox is a Qt app and *requires* Qt to get a GUI. There is no
5 >>> option for GTK
6 >>>
7 >>> USE="qt4"
8 >>> or in more recent versions ebuilds (or ~arch)
9 >>> USE="qt5"
10 >>> as appropriate
11 >>
12 >> USE="-qt4" means qt5 I think.
13 >
14 > The ebuild for VB4 builds it headless with -qt4. There is no choice of
15 > qt4 or qt5, it's qt or headless, only the version of qt used varies
16 > between VB releases.
17
18 Yep. And it's a bit confusing cause you have the headless use flag that
19 really does nothing. Just yesterday I had to rebuild it twice in a row
20 because I got tricked by that. And to top it off it's been a while since
21 I've been able to build VirtualBox with anything other thann -j1.
22
23 Bertram, if you're still having the host crashes one possible cause is a
24 dirty /lib/modules/<kernel version> directory. I just had the same
25 problem. I was setting up a new laptop so I was fiddling with the kernel
26 config and I switched something to built-in from module but the module
27 from the previous kernel build was still there. So remove that directory
28 and run 'make modules_install' again.
33 Fernando Rodriguez