From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:42:04
1 On Thu, Jun 25 2015, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 25/06/2015 15:06, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:09:03 +0100, Mick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I would seek a refund for the MSWindows OS that it comes preinstalled
7 >>> with. (This is a blatant case of software bundling with their products
8 >>> and the refusal to cough up a refund when requested remains
9 >>> incompatible with European Directive 2005/29/EC. Court test cases in
10 >>> France and Belgium have validated this and big boys like Dell are now
11 >>> more cautious when confronted by informed consumers assertively
12 >>> requesting refunds.)
13 >>
14 >> The XPS 13 at least is available as a "Developer Edition" that comes with
15 >> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instead of Windows.
16 >
17 > If you or the crowd you work for can legitimately qualify as a business
18 > customer, you experience a whole different world to the plebs who buy
19 > thrugh the consume site.
20
21 Very much agreed. I bought consumer dells (inspiron) for my children
22 and the customer service was poor. Even close DNA matching didn't help.
23
24 allan
25
26 PS Both now have macs and are fully wired into the apple ecosystem, much
27 to my chagrin.