From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd questions: hdparm unit file, OpenRC packages
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 14:48:57
1 On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Raffaele Belardi
2 <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
3 > After 10+ years of LXDE/OpenRC I decided to give Gnome/systemd a try.
4 >
5 > 1. With OpenRC I used hdparm to put an external USB disk to sleep:
6 >
7 > $ cat /etc/conf.d/hdparm
8 > sdb_args="-S24"
9 >
10 > Looks like systemd does not provide a unit file for hdparm yet, right? If so
11 > I suppose I'll have to write my own.
12 > In general I suppose the same holds for everything that was under
13 > /etc/local.d/
14
15 As Kai pointed out there are units/generators to run the stuff under
16 local.d. You could certainly create a unit for hdparm but a local.d
17 script is probably fine for something done once like this, especially
18 if there is no need to maintain any kind of state and undo it later.
21 > 2. Which OpenRC-related packages can I unmerge?
22 > - sys-apps/sysvinit
23 > - sys-apps/openrc
24
25 This stuff ends up being pulled in by the system set, but you can
26 eliminate it if you create a symlink from /lib/gentoo/functions.sh to
27 /etc/init.d/functions.sh. Don't ask me why stuff STILL sources the
28 old location, other than it being so trivial that nobody cares that
29 much. I've put openrc in package.provided just to avoid the needless
30 upgrades. You can ditch sysvinit if you set USE=sysv-utils on systemd
31 (so that you still get stuff like reboot/halt/poweroff, though I'm not
32 sure how essential those actually are these days).
33
34 > - app-admin/sysklogd
35
36 Never used it, so obviously you can live without that.
37
38 > - cron/anacron after transition to systemd timers
39
40 You might want to also look at sys-process/systemd-cron as a bridge.
41 It basically generates timer units from your crontab and also runs the
42 stuff in /etc/cron.*.d/. But, timer scripts also work just fine and I
43 do that for stuff that I want a bit more control over.
44
45 > - sys-apps/debianutils provides savelog functionality also provided by
46 > systemd but also installkernel so I shall not remove it
47
48 I use logrotate personally, and I still need it for stuff that doesn't
49 use syslog.
50
51 > - others?
52
53 That depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Systemd has
54 semi-replacements for stuff like ntpd, dns, etc. They're not intended
55 as full replacements. If you're serving time/dns/etc then you
56 probably won't want it. If you just want something to manage it
57 locally on the host then these are fairly viable replacements. There
58 is also networkd, which I use on systems that don't have wifi.
59
60 Systemd basically tries to provide all the essential services from a
61 client-only perspective.
64 Rich