From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Major site redesign, SEO, and 301 redirects
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 20:01:12
1 Hi all,
2
3 I am not a web (or SEO) guy, but I manage our DNS and have for a long time.
4
5 The boss has contracted with a web development company to do a full
6 redesign of our website.
7
8 Our website has hundreds of thousands of pages, and years of SEO behind
9 it. The guys who was her until recently was adamant that we must be very
10 carefl with the redesign so as not to totally break SEO, and possibly
11 getting blacklisted by Google.
12
13 The web developers are insisting that they need full access to our DNS
14 (hosted by DNSMadeEasy), and the only reason I can think of for this is
15 they plan on setting up HTTP redirects (DNSMadeEasy equivalent of a 301
16 redirect) for these pages - but hundreds of thousands of them?
17
18 Wouldn't this be better done at the web server level? Or am I just ignorant?
19
20 Would love to hear experiences (good and bad), and a recommendation for
21 what I should do.
22
23 thanks