From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange partition on USB stick
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 19:37:31
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 17:18:18 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> You can create a real partition table on that device and reformat, if
4 >> you want. (Note that some flash-based devices suffer degraded
5 >> performance if you repartition or reformat them because they come with
6 >> specially-aligned FAT tables from the factory)
7 >
8 > Interesting!  I didn't know that.
9 >
10 > I have repartitioned USB sticks in the past, but did not notice any change in
11 > performance - to be honest I didn't measure it.  I assume then that if I were
12 > to re-partition for any reason I would need to stick to exactly the same start
13 > & finish shown by parted.
14 >
15 > Re-formatting it ought to be OK though, as long as the fat16 shown by parted
16 > is correct.
17
18 I think filesystems other than FAT are aligned well already, assuming
19 your partitions are aligned, but with FAT there are some hoops you
20 must jump through.
21
22 There is a tool called flashbench that can test your drive
23 (destructively!) and figure out the most optimal block sizes. Here's a
24 great article about it and optimizing USB flash drives in general:
25 https://lwn.net/Articles/428584/
26
27 And here is a forum thread about figuring out the FAT alignment:
28 http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?3696
29
30 The SD council makes a tool for MS Windows that optimally formats and
31 securely erases SD cards. Might be interesting to compare the results
32 of its format to a standard fdisk and mkfs.vfat in linux.
33
34 One thing I'm going to do next time I get a new SD card or flash drive
35 is take a snapshot of the boot sector/partition tables/FAT tables so
36 if I ever want to reformat it to FAT, I can restore the -- presumably
37 optimal -- factory layout.