From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Some possibly (?) helpful hints re the big gnome-3.8 update
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:28:15
1 On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 31 2013, Graham Murray wrote:
3 >
4 >> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> The wiki is wrong. The script /etc/init.d/udev is part of sys-fs/udev,
7 >>> which you need to uninstall before installing systemd. Perhaps it's
8 >>> CONFIG_PROTECT'd, but anyway sys-fs/udev and sys-apps/systemd install
9 >>> the udev binary in different directories, so the script is basically
10 >>> useless after the switch.
11 >>
12 >> It is pulled in by sys-fs/udev-init-scripts which is a dependency of
13 >> systemd[openrc]. So the Wiki is correct.
14 >
15 > But the wiki doesn't specify emerging system with the openrc flag.
16 > Should I suggest that the wiki be modified.
17 >
18 > To be sure I understand. At this point I would have already
19 >
20 > 1. merged systemd (perhaps with USE="openrc ..."
21 > 2. set USE="systemd ..."
22 > 3. updated with emerge --newuse --deep --verbose--ask @world
23 > * The wiki doesn't say --update; is that correct?
24 >
25 > I would *not* have
26 > 1. added init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd to the kernel line in grub
27 > 2. rebooted.
28
29 I think (now that Graham correctly pointed that you can preserve
30 /etc/init.d/udev with the openrc USE flag), that then you should
31 restart udev.
32
33 > A related question. Am I correct in believing that once I do the
34 > emerge ... @world
35 > above I can *not* reboot until I have added the
36 > init=...
37 > phrase to the kernel line in grub (and thus committed to systemd not OpenRC)
38
39 That, I believe, is correct.
40
41 Regards.