From: Jason Weisberger <jbdubbs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Hardware Problems causing kernel panics during large compiles
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:09:00
1 Here's the rig:
2
3 AMD Phenom II X3 720 (unlocked to 4 cores and OC'd to 3 Ghz, however
4 taking it back to stock doesn't affect the problem)
5 4 Gigs DDR3-1600 at 7-7-7-16
6 ASUS ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 Mobo
7 MSI N9800GT GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
8
9 other less important things would be two 320GB SATA drives, an IDE dvd
10 writer, internal card reader, blah blah
11
12 There are two things I can get this system to consistently lock up
13 while doing: a large compilation such as Chromium, open office, or
14 GCC, or playing Age of Conan in my separate Windows 7 partition. For
15 normal everyday tasks, I can't lock the thing up. The system even
16 plays WoW on maximum settings, Skyrim on max, Counter-Strike Source on
17 max, 1080p youtube or local videos / movies.
18
19 Watching the processor temp stays relatively low, the GPU temp stays
20 normal, north bridge temp is good.
21
22 The kernel panics I get are usually recoverable, I can just F7 back
23 into my desktop and the compile may or may not still be going. If it
24 is, it's usually dead by the third or fourth panic.
25
26 Memtest86+ ran for 24 hours and found no issues with memory on 18 passes.
27
28 So, pretty much where I'm at is either processor or RAM. Unless
29 anybody here has a better idea. And how could I test whether it was
30 the processor or RAM without any current replacement parts? What
31 tests usually show one over the other?
34 Jason Weisberger
35 jbdubbs@×××××.com