From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update -> "the best version available"
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:32:53
1 Mark Knecht schreef:
2 > Hi,
3 > I wonder what the explanation in the emerge man page about the
4 > --update option really means. What is meant by, and how does emerge
5 > pick, "the best version available"?
6 >
7 > - Mark
10 For those wondering, here's the quote:
11
12 --update (-u)
13 Updates packages to the best version available, which may
14 not always be the highest version number due to masking for testing and
15 development. This will also update direct dependencies which may not
16 be what you want. In general, use this option only in combination with
17 the world or system target.
18
19 I accept that this is somewhat unclear, but to explain it fully would
20 take more space than a man page really is for.
21
22 But anyway, the 'best' version available is mostly determined by the
23 arch masks, which are determined by the developers.
24
25 "Best" in this case is a somewhat poor choice of words, but at least
26 indicates the subjectiveness of the determination.
27
28 In any case, a few examples:
31 media-video/mplayer
32 Available versions: 1.0_pre6-r4 1.0_pre6-r5 1.0_pre6-r6 1.0_pre7
33 Installed: 1.0_pre7
34 Homepage: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
37 All available versions of mplayer are stable, so the 'best' version is
38 the most recent stable.
39
40 media-libs/xine-lib
41 Available versions: ~1_rc6-r2 1_rc8-r1 1.0-r2 1.0.1-r3 ~1.0.2
42 ~1.1.0 ~1.1.0-r1
43 Installed: 1.0.1-r3
44 Homepage: http://xine.sourceforge.net/
47 in this case, if one was using stable arch, and had not activated
48 unstable for this package (as I haven't), the best version is the most
49 recent stable (1.0.1-r3), which is not the most recent version.
50
51 However, if one was using ~arch, or had activated unstable for this
52 package in /etc/portage/package.mask, then the 'best' version would be
53 1.1.0-r1, which is the most recent revision, but not in stable Portage.
54
55 media-video/ati-drivers
56 Available versions: 8.8.25-r3 8.10.19 8.12.10 [M]8.13.3 [M]8.13.4
57 8.14.13 8.14.13-r1 8.14.13-r2 [M]8.14.13-r3 *8.16.20
58 Installed: 8.14.13-r2
59 Homepage: http://www.ati.com
61 and r200 chipsets
62
63 Now in this case, the 'best' version is the most recent stable. The
64 second most recent version (8.14.13-r3) is hard masked, but if I
65 unmasked it with /etc/portage/package.unmask (and possibly also
66 /etc/portage/package.keywords), then Portage would consider it the
67 'best', insofar as it would attempt to install it if I upgraded the
68 drivers. Of course, the very fact that you have to manually unmask the
69 packages should give you pause as to whether you really want to consider
70 this the 'best' for you.
71
72 The very most recent version (8.16.20) is 'not available' -- meaning
73 that it will never be considered the 'best' version until it returns to
74 Portage; masking or unmasking is of no use here. I know, because I had
75 unmasked and installed the latest drivers, which did not work well, to
76 put it mildly, and today I synced and Portage downgraded them. I would
77 have downgraded them manually anyway, but it was interesting to see
78 Portage downgrade them by force despite the fact that they were still
79 unmasked. They have so many problems that they are no longer on the
80 Portage radar until the issues are determined to at least an extent that
81 someone knows what to fix, and who has to fix it (Gentoo, the kernel
82 guys if it's a kernel conflict, ATI).
83
84 So, 'best' is a matter of judgement, and basically Gentoo sorts packages
85 into categories so that you can have some context to make the judgement
86 about what is best *for you*. If stable is best for you, then Portage
87 will choose the stable packages (because you told it to). If unstable is
88 best for you, then Portage will choose the unstable packages (because
89 you told it to). If stable is generally best, but in some specific
90 cases, unstable is best for you, then Portage will choose the stable
91 packages except where you told it that unstable is OK.
92
93 That's how it's done, mostly.
94
95 HTH,