From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about updating process
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:36:43
1 On 29/07/14 14:50, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 29/07/2014 13:45, behrouz khosravi wrote:
3 >> Thanks every one.
4 >>
5 >> I guess I got it know !
6 >> And I must say that the way Gentoo is working now, is simple, no doubts.
7 >>
8 >> And I am surprised to hear that Gentoo is so strict to follow upstream.
9 >> I guess it makes it the most vanilla flavored, And I really like it !
10 > It also makes the Gentoo dev's life so much easier.
11
12 For sure :)
15 > You do not want to get into maintaining custome patchsets for everything
16 > under the sun the way Ubuntu and RedHat do it
17
18 And as a user, I wouldn't want some distribution maintainer messing with
19 my packages
20 in such a fundamental way (specially if there is an active upstream for it)
21
22 I'd rather be made aware directly if some packages upstream decides to,
23 for example,
24 remove an feature from it, so I can then make informed decision like
25 switch to
26 another package