From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Peculiar problem: no su - to root
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 11:43:51
1 On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've just completed getting gentoo booted as guest in vbox vm.
4 >
5 > I'm having a peculiar problem. I cannot call `su -' or `su root' and
6 > login as root.
7 >
8 > I can still get to root by `ssh root@localhost' having set up
9 > /etc/sshd_config while still chrooted during install.
10 >
11 > Still no getting to root by way of `su -' or `su root'
12 >
13 > I just get the `Permission denied' message.
14 >
15 > I've never had this happen before over many installs of various linux
16 > distros.
17 >
18 > I did try ssh root@localhost and then resetting root passwd while
19 > logged in as root, but still no getting to root by `su -'.
20
21 Add the su-ing user to the "wheel" group (because of "auth required
22 pam_wheel.so" in "/etc/pam.d/su").