From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Possible new gentoo user
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:07:50
1 Terry Eck wrote:
2 > I've been a SuSE user for several years now currently running 10.0.
3 > I'm interested in giving gentoo a try with the object of converting
4 > from SuSE to gentoo. I've been looking at this list for a couple of
5 > weeks and have determined that there may be a steep learning curve
6 > on my part converting. Any words of advice on getting up to speed
7 > using gentoo before I install it.
8 >
9 > Thanks for any advice you might be able to give me.
10
11 I pretty much think that if I can install and run Gentoo then, anyone
12 willing to give it an honest try can do it. I *do not* have a technical
13 educational background.
14
15 I writing this to retiterate what all other responses have said - read
16 the Handbook and any other HowTo documents on the Gentoo site. Books
17 have been written for other Linux distros, but no one has written one
18 for Gentoo - it's not needed. Gentoo documentation is superlative and
19 exceptionally easy to follow!
20
21 If the something in the documentation needs clarification, or you run
22 into a snag, the people on this list are always ready to lend a helping
23 hand and in my experience you'll always be steered in the right direction.
24
25 Good luck! At the risk of sounding biased, Gentoo is the best distro of
26 any! I've used Redhat/Fedora Core, Mandrake (before it became
27 Mandriva), Mepis, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu and you couldn't pay me to go back
28 to any of those!
29
30 Regards,
31