From: Marc Blumentritt <marc.blumentritt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: create an installable custom distro with gentoo?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:58:46
1 b.n. schrieb:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have looked a bit for this but I've found nothing.
5 > I'd like to create an installable disk ready-to-install on another old,
6 > low specs machine that cannot bear a Gentoo install by itself.
7 >
8 > The logic would be:
9 > - create a chroot environment
10 > - install a subgentoo in it
11 > - emerge the needed sw in the subgentoo, tweak etc.
12 Then create a tarball from it. You could call this tarball a stage4
13 tarball, because it is a complete system (compared to a stage3 tarball).
14
15 To create the tarball, leave the chroot an run something like this:
16 tar -cjvpf /stage4.tar.bz2 /path/to/your/chroot
17
18 Boot your old machine with a gentoo live cd and create partitions
19 (follow the gentoo handbook to chapter 4) and copy your tarball to it.
20
21 After unpacking the tarball, your system is nearly finished. All you
22 need to do is to install grub (or your personal choice of bootloader)
23 and that's it.
26 For this method you do not need a special install medium. But you have
27 to find a way to copy the tarball to your system. Possible options are
28 scp or on cd (in this case you need a second drive or boot your cd with
29 the option to load the whole image to memory (I d'ont remember the name
30 for it), but since you said you have an old machine, the memory will be
31 small...).
34 Regards
35 Marc
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list