From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 04:16:46
1 On 2/18/20 11:00 PM, rudi@×××××.net wrote:
4 > On Feb 18, 2020 22:33, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 > On 2/18/20 9:29 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
7 > >
8 > More comments? encouragement, folks interested?
9 >
10 > James
11 >
12 > I am very interested, although my testing capabilities would be
13 > restricted to a non-samsung Pixel 3. My�understanding is also that the
14 > Pixel and Nexus devices publish their "vendor blobs" or hardware
15 > binaries online which may help?�I've experimented with Ubuntu Touch a
16 > bit on the Nexus 5, however the device is quite slow at this point. My
17 > use case wouldn't be so much for control over updates, but more for
18 > things like Convergence (Ubuntu), Dex (Samsung) or Android Desktop.
19 > Where you dock your phone and have a linux/Android desktop with floating
20 > windows etc.
21 >
22 > �I'd like to be kept in the loop on this, and if possible I would also
23 > like to help contribute software however I'm not really skilled with
24 > hardware. I configure my kernel and that's about it.
27 Look at this 5G unlocked phone from Samsung (we'll need a gentoo test &
28 development deep discount). That's what I've been pitching to Samsung....
31 https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-is-americas-first-unlocked-all-carrier-5g-phone
32
33 " While the unlocked S20+ and S20 Ultra will work on every US 5G
34 carrier, the small S20 won't. "
37 A very informative read. 5G 'is not limited to 5GHz bands, 5G will be
38 in most 2020 model cars/trucks here in
39 https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-is-americas-first-unlocked-all-carrier-5g-phonethe
40 us, they're just not publishing it, so the carriers + auto-manufactures,
41 can work out the bugs. 5Ghz with IoT micro devices is here already. Lots
42 of 5G transponders already deploy, via the companies that run/own the
43 cell towers. The eyes && ears are among us now, already.
46 So get your unlocked 5G phone, complete with a built in network
47 analyzer, today! Spectrum analyzers built in tba in 2021. Be up on
48 this, or be a victim, as the nefarious communities are deeply invest in
49 this race including law-enforcement, drug-dealers, and foreign
50 surveillance devices.
51
52 I'm still hoping a '5G dev-kit' will be publically released to the horde
53 of honest (gentoo) linux hackers.
54
55 Look at those frequencies above 5G! There is so much more to come and
56 yet to be disclosed.
59 GENTOO needs to be the development platform solution for this fast
60 moving technology!
63 hth,
64 James