From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2006.1 profile and use flag changes
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 23:25:38
1 On 9/2/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have to agree with this. We need a mailing list or some kind of
3 > announcement that USE flags are changing and what they are changing
4 > too. qt has split into qt3 and qt4 from what I have read. I recently
5 > found out that tkinter has become tk but only after my emerge -e world
6 > failed at pysol because python was emerged without the support. Thank
7 > goodness for --resume.
8
9 Changes to global useflags are typically suggested and debated on -dev.
10
11 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/39609/focus=39609
12
13 Local use flags (like tkinter) are at the discretion of the
14 maintainer, and the package ChangeLog should describe why the change
15 is made and what to do about it. Or at least give a link to the bug#.
16
17 So for global flags, a mail list already exists for this purpose. For
18 local flags, I suppose -dev announcements could be made, but I worry
19 that the volume of useflag-changed spam would be too much, especially
20 considering that you probably don't care about 90% of the packages in
21 portage.
22
23 Of course, portage tells you what flags have been
24 added/removed/changed when you do add --pretend and --verbose to your
25 command ( fex: emerge -DNuvp world )
26
27 > Where does a person go to make this suggestion?
28
29 bugs.gentoo.org would be the appropriate place.
30
31 -Richard
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list