From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Recommend a simple video editor?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 01:20:26
1 I've got a handful of mp4 video clips (a minute or two each). All I
2 want to do is
3
4 1) Concatenate them with fade-in at beginning of each clip and fade-out
5 at the end of each clip.
6
7 2) Superimpose a title at the beginning for a few seconds.
8
9 Can anybody recomment a simple video editor?
12 So far I've tried Openshot and Cinelerra and niether is usable even
13 for my trivial task.
14
15 Openshot 2.07
16
17 The native amd64 build segfault a _lot_. Any time you try to move
18 the "playback head" or whatever it's called it segfaults. Various
19 other GUI operations also cause a segfault. Sometimes it gets the
20 project file into some broken state and then can't even start up and
21 load the project file without segfaulting.
22
23 Oh, and it "auto saves" periodically, so you can't even rely on it
24 not borking a working project file even though you never clicked
25 "save".
26
27 The AppImage binary at least allows the GUI to work, but it can't
28 render a 5 minute video. It either aborts part-way through or just
29 locks up burning 100% CPU until you send it a SIGKILL.
30
31 I was finally able to set up the edits using the AppImage binary,
32 then open the project using the native Gentoo binary and render the
33 video. The resulting video quality was terrible. The video
34 stuttered, pixellated, and in some spots even appeared to jump
35 forward/backward repeatedly. That was with the highest quality
36 setting (the output file size was acually significantly larger than
37 the sum of the input file sizes). Even though the video quality was
38 severly degraded.
41 Cinelerra 2012 (stable).
42
43 I used Cinelerra for a small project once before, and though it
44 _worked_ I hated every second of it. The GUI is a nightmare. It
45 uses some home-made widget set that I find incomprehensible.
46
47 I could probably grit my teeth long enough for this simple task,
48 except Cinelerra seems unable to deal with AAC audio. It
49 misidentifies as some other PCM format, and all of the imported
50 files just have a short burst of noise at the beginning followed by
51 silence. Cinelerra also doesn't seem to be able to play the
52 imported.mp4 video files at the proper framerate it's bog-standard
53 Android phone video: H264 1280x720 30fps, but Cinelerra insists on
54 playing at a some higher frame-rate.
55
56 I may try Cinelerra 2014, but I'm not optimistic -- Cinelerra is known
57 for it's slow rate of change.