From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pick your hypothesis:
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 20:58:29
1 Michael Jones wrote:
4 > On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 2:04 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
8 > > On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 13:42:04 -0600, Dale wrote:
9 > >
10 > >> I'm trying to recall but am not sure, is this the same Alan
11 > that used to
12 > >> come on here and post this sort of thing when the problem was
13 > in the
14 > >> chair not Gentoo?  I recall the person I'm speaking of having a
15 > script
16 > >> that just created a mess and then he blamed it on Gentoo.  I
17 > might still
18 > >> have some of those emails but someone else may recall if this
19 > is the
20 > >> same person or not.
21 > > It is.
26 > Yep.  I went and found this little gem.  For those interested, this is
27 > the script he used back then.  I'm not sure if he still does today or
28 > not.  Some of you may find it funny.  Some may just cry, for various
29 > reasons.  ;-)
35 > I have to say, the first sentence says a LOT.  Who here runs emerge
36 > without checking to make sure it is going to do what you want it to
37 > first?  Heck, I always run with -a and look at USE flags and such
38 > before
39 > even thinking about hitting y to continue.  Sometimes, it may take me
40 > adjusting settings two or three times to get what I need.  It goes
41 > downhill from there with his script.  Heck, if I were emerge, I'd
42 > break
43 > too.  lol
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >
47 > :-)  :-)
52 > A lot of people run emerge without checking the preliminary console
53 > output.
54 >
55 > I don't think it's fair to imply that doing that is somehow wrong.
56 >
57 > The vast majority of Linux distributions support unattended upgrades
58 > without a second thought.
59
60 I'm not sure that many actually do that with Gentoo and have no problems
61 with it.  Packages are constantly changing, USE flags are changing and a
62 whole host of other things are changing and in a source based distro,
63 you have to monitor those changes and adjust based on them.  Sure, a lot
64 of people sync and have the -p version of emerge emailed to them.  Thing
65 is, that isn't a update.  That is preparing for a update.  The update
66 happens when emerge starts compiling and installing packages.  It's on
67 the user to check that and correct things before updating.  If the user
68 doesn't, then that is not Gentoo's fault, that is the users fault.  That
69 is something several us tried to tell Alan.
70
71 As Jack pointed out, most distros are binary based.  They are made to
72 upgrade even without the user doing anything.  Some do it automatically
73 as well.  Thing is, that doesn't work as well when there are choices to
74 be made.  Gentoo is about choices.  It's the user that has to make
75 those.  That's why emerge spits out what it is about to do for you to
76 look at.  If you don't look at it, you may not get what you want.  The
77 longer you ignore it, the more likely that is to create problems.
78
79 Sure, if you want to blindly update Gentoo and never look at what is
80 going on, that's fine.  Just don't be surprised when you get a broken
81 system  I learned long ago, you either spend a few minutes on the front
82 end making sure the updates are headed where you want them or you spend
83 hours trying to figure out what went wrong.  Some learn that the hard way.
84
85 I might add, several of us tried to work with Alan back then.  Based on
86 posts back then, quite a few blacklisted him because he wouldn't take
87 advice.  Some just ignored his posts.  Several of us pointed out that
88 his script, as a whole, is a disaster and nothing good is going to come
89 from it long term or even short term really.  If he wants to keep doing
90 things the way we know doesn't work, we can't help him.
91
92 Just saying.
93
94 Dale