From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:22:59
1 On Monday 27 March 2006 17:14, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] chroot':
3 > Is is safe to continue to build in a chroot? The handbook say to boot
4 > into my new gentoo system. However, I would like to continue to build
5 > in the chroot (from another Gentoo 2006.0) until I have X, Fluxbox,
6 > Firefox, Postfix, Apache, Mysql and Courier built. This way I will
7 > have the minimal I need in a system and can take my time to build Gnome
8 > and everyhing else.
9
10 The only risk I can think of is trying to load kernel modules built against
11 the kernel source in the chroot into the kernel that was loaded off of the
12 livecd. That's not really a risk anyway; it should just fail cleanly.
13
14 No well-behaving program should try and escape your chroot, so I'm gonna
15 say it's generally safe.
16
17 There /could/ be issues if you booted from a livecd that has a different
18 CHOST than you are building the system for, but if you are doing something
19 that crazy, I'd hope you'd tell us in your initial email.
22 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
23 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
24 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
25 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh