From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:52:00
1 On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:38:30 -0200, Raphael wrote:
4 > I believe that a good solution would be evolving Portage to use
5 > different forms of storage, like databases or even LDAP. In a home
6 > desktop, you could use SQLite, which is light weight. In a Office
7 > enviroment, you could use a larger database, like MySQL or PostgreSQL.
8 > In this second case, it would even make sharing the package list faster,
9 > since the only current method is sharing it over NFS.
10 >
11 > I understand that doing so could bloat Portage dependencies, but
12 > it is, IMHO, a good way to improve its speed.
13
14 This is an interesting idea. if portage were to use a database, there
15 could be, for instance, a ruby on rails app for a interface! :)
19 -Thufir
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list