From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo & the Real-Time kernel
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:02:15
1 It's the only kernel I've used in years. In fact I've never run
2 gentoo-sources for any reason other than installation. With my
3 HDSP9652 I can run sub-1 mS delays consistently.
4
5 You'll find the real-time kernel in the pro-audio overlay as
6 'rt-sources'. You might consider joining the pro-audio overlay email
7 list to get questions answered about configuration, not that they
8 cannot be answered here but pretty much everyone there is running it
9 exclusively.
10
11 Note that the leading edge rt-sources kernel does tend to be a bit
12 behind the mainline kernel so you'll want to be a bit more careful
13 with things like closed source video drivers and the like. While not
14 so bad now there have been times in the past where the nvidia driver
15 did cause real-time problems. (Called 'xruns' in the audio world due
16 to the way Jack reports these problems.) I tend to run the Open source
17 video drivers to simply reduce the number of problems I might run into
18 but many, many people run both the ATI and nvidia closed source
19 drivers without any problems.
20
21 Have fun,
22 Mark