From: Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem filtering portage messages...
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 13:58:52
1 On Saturday 22 August 2009, Jarry wrote:
2 > Robin Atwood wrote:
3 > > 1. In /etc/conf.d/local.start add a line
4 > > tail -F /var/log/emerge.log | awk '{$1="";print | "logger -t emerge -p
5 > > local5.info"}' &
6 >
7 > Thanks. First I'll try to figure out what this line actually means! :-)
8
9 This was devised by Mike Hunt on the Portage forum (see
10 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-788086-highlight-.html). It tails the
11 default emerge log into an awk stage which deletes the Unix time stamp, and
12 then logs the records into the standard syslog with the priority set to
13 facility "local5" and level "info"; these can be whatever works for you.
14
15 -Robin
16 --
18 Robin Atwood.
19
20 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
21 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
22 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling