From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How long does "Verifying /usr/portage" take?
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 22:57:10
1 On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:43 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2018-07-06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Now that the public key stuff is working again (knock on wood), I'm
6 > > curious if it's usual for an emerge --sync to take 10-15 minutes
7 > > longer than it used due to the "Verifying /usr/portage" step.
8 > >
9 > > On some systems (with fewer packages installed) it only takes a minute
10 > > or less. But, on my "main" desktop system it takes 10-15 minutes every
11 > > time.
12 >
13 > I cleared out /usr/portage/distfiles, and the verify time dropped to
14 > about 10 seconds. I should probably do that more often...
17 Assuming it is reproducible it is probably a bug.
18
19 That said, I always move distfiles to someplace like /var/cache. I
20 guess /usr/portage should probably be in there as well, though I would
21 not mix my distfiles with my repository for a number of reasons. I
22 think it is just inertia preserving the current situation as I can't
23 imagine anybody involved in portage/council/etc really would design it
24 this way today.
25
26 You can tweak this in make.conf with DISTDIR=...
29 Rich