From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x32 ABI
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:13:18
1 Am Montag, 30. Juli 2012, 11:40:50 schrieb Alecks Gates:
2 > After a recent update to binutils 2.22 I started to look into the x32
3 > ABI support. It looks very interesting and I am thinking about
4 > installing it via the experimental stage3[1], but I have some
5 > questions to ask first.
6 >
7 > What are the benefits and drawbacks of using the x32 ABI, other than
8 > the obvious "experimental" cautions? I currently do not have a
9 > computer with more than 4GB of ram, and one only has 2GB (used as a
10 > media center).
11 >
12 > How do I go about installing an x32 ABI system? Is it as simple as
13 > using the x32 stage3 and enabling CONFIG_X86_X32 in the kernel, or is
14 > there more to it? How would I convert a running system to the x32
15 > ABI, if possible?
16 >
17 > Alecks
18 >
19 > [1] http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/amd64/x32/
20
21 how about: almost zero benefits and lots and lots of downsides?
22
23 It was only introduced because ATOM sucks so much in 'real' 64bit mode.
26 #163933