From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Not able to log into KDE via KDM after improper shutdown!
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:54:11
1 Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >I am no longer able to log into KDE 3.4 via KDM after an improper
6 >shutdown (laptop overheated, and shutdown!). I am able to log in via
7 >agetty (Ctrl-Alt-F1), though.
8 >
9 >Incidentally, while inside KDE (as another user ofcourse) I am unable
10 >to SU into superuser as well. My password is rejected.
14 Is that user in the wheel group? as root nano -w /etc/group or
15
16 cat /etc/group | grep wheel
17
18 should work too. Mine is like this:
19
20 > root@smoker / # cat /etc/group | grep wheel
21 > wheel:x:10:root,dale,dale2
22 > root@smoker / #
25 Umm, I'm dale. :) dale2 is my backup in case I run into a problem like
26 you are having now.
27
28 >KDM displays my username, but once I enter the password the screen
29 >goes blank and I'm presented with KDM once again.
30 >
31 >I am able to log in as another user. Is there some /home/<user>/.kde
32 >file I need to delete?
36 No clue where but there may be a lock file somewhere. Maybe someone
37 else will know. Dale pats his UPS and is grateful he has a desktop.
38
39 Dale
40 :-)
43 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list