From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:15:27
1 On Sonntag, 16. Dezember 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > David Relson wrote:
3 > > IMHO, python is a very nice object oriented language and C++ is no
4 > > better (unless you need particular features of the language). I
5 > > suspect C++ runs somewhat faster, but that's not the issue here. As I
6 > > understand, portage needs to deal with lots of special cases and
7 > > exceptions to the general rules for updating package. Special cases
8 > > and exceptions always lead to complications and messy code. Switching
9 > > languages doesn't help a situation like this.
10 >
11 > C++ is most certainly going to yield faster programs since it is a
12 > machine compiled language and python is interpreted. But that's not the
13 > idea behind portage. It's all about using the right tools for the job.
14 > I do all my research code in C++ because I need good memory management
15 > and I need speed. But python is far easier to code in, doesn't need to
16 > be compiled, and is pretty dang elegant. It's also pretty platform
17 > independent, which is also nice.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Randy Barlow
21 > http://electronsweatshop.com
22
23 one reason pro phyton and contra c and c++ has always been: segfaults.
24
25 And with c++ comes another one: abi changes.
26
27 Just think about this horror: gcc/libstdc++ update and your package manager
28 stops working....
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list