From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VI
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:42:09
1 On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:02:37 -0500 (EST) Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > | I'm certain we're talking about something different, since neither
6 > | vim nor screen uses any other interface in that area than termcap.
7 > |
8 > | I was just in screen yesterday, and am looking at vim right now, just
9 > | in case some feature has crept in. If it were in fact using terminfo
10 > | rather than termcap, it would call one of these functions:
11 > <snip>
12 > | All three of those programs use the same interface from ncurses - the
13 > | termcap one.
14 >
15 > Vim has --with-tlib=. If it's set to ncurses, everything works nicely.
16 > If it's set to termcap it ends up mangling the screen.
17
18 The default value is ncurses though, as I read src/configure.in
19
20 case "`uname -s 2>/dev/null`" in
21 OSF1) tlibs="ncurses curses termlib termcap";;
22 *) tlibs="ncurses termlib termcap curses";;
23 esac
24
25 And there're two factors to consider: the terminal database, and the
26 library. Either may be a problem. But I don't offhand know of a problem
27 with either that would mangle the screen with GNU termcap. From the
28 termcap interface up, vim would do the same thing anyway since it's
29 a termcap application (uses tgetent, tgoto, etc). term.c is about 5400
30 lines of code...
31
32 Note that vim uses tgoto() rather than tparm() - and uses that for
33 updating colors. Not exactly the intended use of that function, but
34 it works.
35
36 > | You might also consider --with-loadable-filters (that makes a smaller
37 > | executable).
38 >
39 > Hrm, if I add --with-loadable-filters to the 9.5 ebuilds I get a
40 > compile error:
41 ...
42 > Looks like it's parallel build related. With MAKEOPTS=-j1 it goes away,
43 > but with anything higher it fails consistently.
44
45 yes - I haven't done anything regarding parallel build for vile.
46 Only ncurses, iirc. I'll add that to my to-do list.
49 Thomas E. Dickey
50 http://invisible-island.net
51 ftp://invisible-island.net
52 --