From: Greg Bowser <topnotcher@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with 2 partition installation from gentoo minimal system
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 01:40:44
1 <snip>
2 VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
3 Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
4 partitions:
5 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
6 unknown-block(0,0)
7 </snip> (hey, I remembered not to top post for once!)
8
9 Not that this hasn't been said, but this is almost definitely a device
10 driver issue. In my experience (and I've had this and similar errors on many
11 systems), when it's a file system problem (i.e. having the correct FS driver
12 compiled in), you get unknown-block(x,y) where x,y are both nonzero.
13
14 That said, something definitely needs to be changed with your kernel config.
15 I run several vmware servers (the free server), and have gentoo VMs on
16 those. If you'd like, I can post my .config for you to compare. Or I could
17 just look through the scsi options I have configured.
18
19 When I configured my VMs, I remember reading the following article: (along
20 with some trial and error, of course.)
21 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_VMware_in_Windows_NT/2K/XP#Kernel_Configuration
24 -- Greg
25
26 Postscript: As this is an error mouting your root file system, the fstab,
27 which is stored on the root file sysem, doesn't matter at this point in the
28 boot process.