From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:54:15
1 On Monday, January 18, 2016 06:07:33 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 1:44 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
4 > >> You would have a full VM for each user?
5 > >
6 > > Yes
7 > >
8 > >> That would be a huge waste of resources,
9 > >
10 > > Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
11 > >
12 > >...
13 > >
14 > > The biggest reason why I don't use KVM is the lack of full snapshot
15 > > functionality. Snapshotting disks is nice, but you end up with an unclean-
16 > > shutdown situation and anything that's not yet committed to disk is gone.
17 >
18 > Seems like on linux a straightforward design would be spinning up
19 > containers on demand, with snapshots underneath. Granted, somebody
20 > still needs to build it, but spinning up a container per user isn't
21 > much more resource-intensive than just running x2go with multiple
22 > users in a single namespace which is how it works today. It certainly
23 > would be less wasteful than a full VM. They also launch and shutdown
24 > super-fast.
25 >
26 > Of course, this is a linux-only solution (or BSD I believe). You're
27 > not going to be able to do this with OSX/Windows guests.
28
29 A similar solution is generally done with VDI implementations as well.
30 Replace "container" with VM and you have the same.
33 Joost