From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:13:09
1 On 2016-12-16 14:16, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > If you don't have USE=-suid on your xorg-server package, then X is
4 > probably running suid root.
5 >
6 > In order to not have it run this way you need support for kernel
7 > modesetting. I was surprised when I found out that X11 even worked
8 > that way (we're talking late 90s here). It seems a bit like running
9 > pppd as root so that it can directly talk to a UART because you have
10 > an aversion to using /dev/ttyS*. In any case the kernel devs have
11 > generally been making the move to kernel modesetting so that your
12 > device drivers actually are in the kernel and not in random userspace
13 > programs (I'm all for microkernels, but not like this).
14 >
15 > If you don't have kernel modesetting enabled then X11 won't be able to
16 > run with -suid set. Google for gentoo kernel modesetting for a guide
17 > on how to enable it on most modern hardware.
18
19 There's another dimension to this dilemma: if one wants to avoid using a
20 display manager and start X server directly (or via startx or similar),
21 then the X server must be suid for that reason, even with KMS.
22 Unfortunately.
23
24 I am not hotly interested in starting a subthread about why one would
25 want to do this, but if others are, go ahead :-P
28 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
29 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
30 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html