From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 23:37:53
1 On 1/12/20 3:51 PM, n952162 wrote:
2 > While installing gentoo from scratch, after doing a "emerge --sync", the
3 > command:
4 >
5 > eselect profile list
6 >
7 > fails because it can't get any profiles, and I see that the 17.1 profile
8 > is in a .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine.
9 >
10 > 1. what do I have to do to get this going again?
11 > 2. how did I end up in this situation?� Is this a known bug.� I simply
12 > followed the handbook.
16 Some folks on this list will not like the advise I give; caveat emptor
17 my friend.
18
19 So, I install and give away many old system so folks can first learn
20 about gentoo, with a working baseline. my latest one, is for a savant
21 EE, that just hates W. I have not seen him for a very long time. He
22 asked for one, and I could not say no. Gentoo is all I recommend
23 as I've pretty much tried many other linux distros; most give me
24 heartburn for a myriad of reasons.
25
26 I also install and re-install, as many of the gentoo systems get
27 "attacked" before I can complete a secure install, or the hackers just
28 read much more than I do.
29 I guess I'm still popular, in very negative way.
30
31 SO, I'm always looking for a quick and easy gentoo install
32 method/medium. CloverOS (cloveros.ga) use to work well. Then quite a
33 few releases (through the decemeber 2019) failed in one way or another.
34 I have not tried the latest release, so I'm about to give it a spin,
35 just for fun. I offer this, hoping that all have gone through a few
36 installs, via the handbook, but putting together your own streamlined
37 install system,
38 is a pita to figure-out and get reasonable stable.
41 I've been using gentoo since 2003. A quick, supported install is a
42 pet-peeve for me; to each his own. I've burned up some HD and cpus, and
43 ram trying to bring old gentoo installs up to date; although most made
44 it fine, despite tons of hours.
45
46 I hope this helps you. Installing gentoo is a religious experience,
47 once you diverge from the handbook; ymmv.
48
49 Perhaps one day, I'll be able to afford a 7nm and tons of ram system, so
50 the heavy compiling can be complete therein and moved to a target, just
51 like most embedded systems installs are these days.
52
53 hth,
54 James