From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about online database of files per pkg
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 23:19:18
1 On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 00:26:20 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > Can anyong direct me to a database for gentoo where one can find
4 > > out which tools/files go with which pkg.
5
6 If you mean for installed packages; qlist shows what a package installed,
7 qfile shows which package installed a file. Both are part of
8 portage-utils.
9
10 If you want the same for uninstalled packages, what Alan said...
11
12 > As far as I know, there's no such thing. On Ubuntu when you install
13 > firefox, you get an exact list of files that is the same for everyone.
14 > On Gentoo when you install firefox, the list of files you get depends on
15 > USE and whether the dev did any tweaks to the ebuild today.
16 >
17 > There's been some efforts at making such a database, for example
18 > http://www.portagefilelist.de
19 > but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Maybe another project has picked
20 > up the ball but I don't know of any.
21
22 I use packages.debian.org. Once I know the Debian package name, it is
23 usually trivial to find the equivalent ebuild.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Do Roman paramedics refer to IV's as "4's"?