From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How come my 'esearch' isn't updated when I emerge something until the next 'esync'?!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:39:39
1 On Friday 17 November 2006 08:01, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 22:27 -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:
3 > > I always found this annoying...
4 > >
5 > > How come when I emerge something, my 'esearch' isn't updated until the
6 > > next time I do an 'esync'?
7 >
8 > because esearch trawls through /usr/portage only when you tell it to,
9 > and stores it's info in a database somewhere.
10
11 As you may know installed packages aren't stored in /usr/portage. They are
12 installed in the vdb (/var/db/pkg). Apparently esearch doesn't look there
13 either. As an extra bonus eupdatedb (which does look go through the vdb too)
14 is a *lot* slower that its eix equivalent (update-eix). ;) So can anyone
15 mention any advantage of esearch compared to eix?
16
17 [SNIP]
18 > > Then if I do an 'esync'
19 [SNIP]
20 > you shouldn't have to re-emerge it. portage knows about the most recent
21 > version all the time, regardless of what esearch shows you.
22 >
23 > > * www-apps/trac
24 > > Latest version available: 0.10.1
25 > > Latest version installed: 0.9.6
26 >
27 > [snip]
28 >
29 > this doesn't mean that you will have to re-install. (someone can
30 > correct me here, but) I think this means that 0.10.1 is available, but
31 > not installed on your system probably because of masking.
32
33 He said he ran `esync` rather than `eupdatedb` so yes it does seem to mean
34 that a new version of trac has been stabilized since the last time he ran
35 `esync`.
36
37 PS: And oh.. I do agree with the rest of what you said Iain. :)
40 Bo Andresen