From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] help with the dreaded mount: RPC: Program not registered
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:59:21
1 Hi, all,
2
3 I have 2 gentoo machines, lotus and tobey. tobey is an nfs server to
4 lotus.
5 Today I upgraded tobey, and now nfs doesn't work. Previously, it worked for
6 years. The symptoms are:
7
8 1) mount -v /mnt/tobey on lotus returns
9 mount: RPC: Program not registered
10
11 2) /etc/init.d/nfs start on tobey produces no output, no running
12 nfsd daemons, and exit code 1.
13
14 3) There is nothing particularly informative (to me)
15 in the system logs. There is one instance of
16
17 tobey rc-scripts: ERROR: cannot start nfs as rpc.statd could not start
18
19 after the reboot following today's upgrade.
20
21 I've started rpc.statd by hand and then attempted to start nfs,
22 but nfs still does not start. There is no information in the system
23 log explaining why.
24
25 4) I've done the usual google search, and followed the advice of
26 other people who have had this problem, and I have read the
27 available Gentoo Wiki documents that discuss this problem
28 and followed the advice there. The result: nfs still does not
29 start.
30
31 5) tobey is a machine which doesn't like to start various daemons
32 when it boots despite their being managed by rc-update. I have
33 no idea why - this situation started a few months ago after an
34 upgrade. I start them by hand after reboots.
35
36 6) I always do revdep-rebuild and always follow the post installation
37 instructions mailed by portage's elog facility.
38
39 So, any brilliant ideas about why I can't start nfs or how to debug the
40 problem?
41
42 As always, thanks for your help!
43