From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED BUT] *** urgent *** root needs non existing service 'fsck'
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:36:49
1 On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > On 03/19/2012 03:54:35 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> suddenly might Gentoo system doesn't boot anymore, not normally, at least.
9 >>
10 >> I get  'root' needs non existing service 'fsck' but I've no idea why.
11 >>
12 >> rc-update -u   tells me about this, as well.
13 >>
14 >> reemerging   linux-utils and openrc didn't help.
15 >>
16 >> /etc/init.d/fsck is a normal file which contents looks normally.
17 >> I can invoke /sbin/fsck.
18 >>
19 >> I'm very grateful for any hints to get out of this,
22 > By comparing my broken system to a recent backup it showed up there was a
23 > new file
24 > in /etc/ concerning an initramfs.
25 > qfile showed that this file has been installed by genkernel.
26 >
27 > It's unbelievable but just emerging genkernel broke my system though I've
28 > never used it, yet.
29 >
30 > Just  emerge -C sys-kernel/genkernel
31 > and my system was sane again.
32
33 Wow, that is strange. I have genkernel installed, never used it, don't
34 use initramfs, and have not hit this problem yet. The
35 /etc/initramfs.mounts file only has one uncommented line:
36
37 /usr
38
39 No idea what that's for...